Monday, June 29, 2009

Videos Galore! - Idea #3

During our library time, the librarian set up the SmartBoard (an incredible, interactive whiteboard...but it is expensive) to let my students watch a few videos about the brain and nervous system on Brain Pop. Your school may subscribe to this service. Some videos are free. Otherwise, you will need a description. The nice thing about this site is that all of the videos are "kid-friendly". Of course, the librarian and I preview the videos before we show them to evaluate their content.

Anyway, the students watched a video and then I had them take the quiz with me as a class. I "manned" the laptop to start the quiz. I had a student go up to the SmartBoard to select the answer. There were 10 questions and we received our score at the end. There were some pretty tough questions, but the kids got most to all of them correct. I was amazed! The video held their interest and the content was age appropriate. They wanted to do more. We did two more videos, and the results were the same.

When we got back to the classroom, I allowed them to explore some games via a digital hotsheet on the mobile lab (a cart of 30 laptops). Where do you think a lot of them went? BRAINPOP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment