Friday, July 31, 2009

A Little Out of Order...Thing #18 - Online productivity tools

I downloaded and explored OpenOffice. It is nice because it is free. As I looked around it has many of the same features as Microsoft Office, but it doesn't seem to have as many. There are new templates in the "presentation" (aka Power Point) software that is nice. One thing I do not like is that it is not set up in the same way as Microsoft Office. Therefore, I think for people like myself who are used to using that software will spend more time finding applications on OpenOffice than actually producing products. I do like that it can be put on as many computers as needed. I have Microsoft Office for Students and do not have Access so I cannot create databases. I didn't want to spend more money on Microsoft software for an app that I will hardly use. So it is nice that I can get it for free and use it as needed.

I am not sure how this could benefit the education system since Microsoft Office is pretty much standard in most districts. Can someone give me ideas on how this could be used in a library setting?

No comments:

Post a Comment