Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing #7 - Google stuff

I played around with several Google features, but the two I liked the best are the calendar and iGoogle. I already have a Picasa site which I love for sharing my pictures with family and friends who I don't get to see all of the time. This is a great way too to create some other 2.0 tools with my own photos. They are available no matter what computer I am on.

The Google calendar is great for a variety of reasons. I played around with it for personal usage. But as a librarian, I could post my schedule for teachers to see what I am doing, to sign up to come in, etc. I could also make one for my principal to see what I did in the library that month. It would be a format change that might be nice =). Of course, I could use it as a teacher too for my own use. I could also use it and print it out for each student so they know what is going on for the week, day, or even year.

iGoogle is pretty neat. I love being able to customize things to my liking =). It could be used in the library. It would be a quick access to specific things that I would want to see with just a few clicks. If 4th grade is studying weather, I could make that a feature on my iGoogle page. Then I could just go to it quickly to show them weather patterns. At a higher level (or any for that matter), I could select news stories to be on my main page. I could pull up stories from reputable sources for research or to look at text features.

No comments:

Post a Comment